“I know David Bell to be a dedicated and diligent employee. I also know him to be a compassionate and understanding colleague. To me, David was always a voice of reason in what was often a hectic and unpredictable work environment. I am proud to endorse David Bell’s candidacy for any position he might be seeking.” – Andy Campbell, University of New Brunswick.
“Upbeat, uptempo, totally professional in all aspects and a pleasure to work with – I’d recommend David any day for any job as a reporter/videographer in our industry. Some day soon you will see this man soar high in our profession. When that happens it will be because of his talent, drive, enthusiasm and intelligence.” – Paul Hollingsworth, TSN.
“Awesome on Twitter…a one-man tweeting machine.” – Liz Rigney, CTV Atlantic Community Relations and Promotions Manager.
“I’ve run into a lot of new journalists in my day. None have ever, ever, had me so convinced they have the stuff to be one of the really, really good journalists. David Bell does.” – Carolyn Dunn, CBC.
“I highly recommend David Bell. It was an honour working with and mentoring him early in his journalistic career, and I hope that he becomes as important to your newsroom and your community as he was to mine.” – Andre da Costa, CJDC TV News.
“David is a man utterly dedicated to his profession and the tasks at hand. If the delivery of high quality, professional journalism is what interests you, then this is a person you should seriously consider.” – Wendy Webb, Alaska Highway News.
- Produces engaging, clickable content with a variety of elements and related links that inspire social media shares and reaction
- Consistently delivers in online, television, radio, print and social media platforms. Experience in small, medium and major markets
- Thrives and delivers under tight deadlines, juggling multiple priorities while delivering on the goals of getting the story up first but with accuracy, balance and context
- Goes beyond the press release by securing legitimate, opposing points of views; does not shy away from challenging authority
- Able to switch gears seamlessly between hard news and long-form, feature journalism
- Has excellent multitasking, organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Oct. 19, 2015 – Present
Web Journalist. CBC Calgary. Calgary, AB.
Generates stories that people want to read, experience and share. Produces consistent, clean copy. Curates website and social media accounts for maximum impact factoring in audience needs and a competitive media environment.
- A bear-interaction story I did was matched by the Calgary Sun, CTV Calgary, Huffington Post, Cottage Life, the Mirror UK and the Facebook post was viewed more than 26,000 times.
- At least three competing media outlets derived stories from my long-form story about a photographer who is documenting people affected by the Alberta economic downturn.
- I found a witness to a violent police interaction who contradicted key elements of the official police statement. CBC was the first media outlet to have a witness, and the story and Facebook post were viewed by tens of thousands.
- My exclusive video post, along with a short narrative, of an RCMP officer riding a mechanical bull during the Calgary Stampede took off with a potential reach of more than 400,000.
Oct. 11, 2011 – Oct. 12, 2015
Video Journalist. CTV Atlantic. Moncton, NB.
Story ideas, research, interviews, videography, editing and presenting stories for Live at 5 and News at Six broadcasts. Reports regularly featured on CTV News Channel.
- Demo tape of CTV work including stories about the public funding of a sports venue and a very large pet pig.
Oct. 7, 2010 – Sep. 23, 2011
Video Journalist. CJDC TV News/Astral Radio. Fort St. John, BC.
Story ideas, research, interviews, videography, editing and presenting stories for television, radio and web. Afternoon newscasts, weather and business reports for several regional Astral Radio properties.
Nov. 16, 2009 – Oct. 1, 2010
Reporter/Photographer. Alaska Highway News. Fort St. John, BC.
Story ideas, research, interviews, writing stories, features and briefs for print and web, photography and support of other functions in the newsroom of a daily newspaper.
- Produced multiple in-depth stories on the 2010 Site C announcement (April 20, April 21, April 22, April 23). Numerous stories picked up by the Canadian Press, one by the Globe and Mail.